One of the gifts of life in the church is the opportunity to study in a community of believers. But more and more churches cannot afford a full time associate for education or a director of Christian education. Marcia can listen to your particular needs and interests and design a course that fits into your ministry.
She teaches classes on a wide variety of topics including but not limited to: Bible studies, contemporary theology, mystical theology, Reformed theology, Patristic theology, Process theology, comparative theology, Buddhist philosophy, social theory, and spirituality. Because a lot of her work explores issues of the body she incorporates these questions into all of her teaching. She can also design a class that focuses specifically on embodiment.
Marcia will not only tailor the topic to your needs but she can work with you on the length of the course, time spent in class, and the amount of required outside preparation for participants. These topics can be taught in academic, community, or church settings.
You may be interested in a onetime lecture, a lecture series, or a keynote speaker. Past lectures and keynotes have covered topics ranging from race to leadership development to Contemporary Christian identity.
Marcia welcomes preaching opportunities in congregations of any size.
Here are some examples of recent courses, lectures, keynotes, and sermons:
Continuing Lecture Series on Contemporary Christian Identity hosted by University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC Winter/Spring 2009:
- Lecture One: “Biblical Prophecy or Propaganda: Making Sense of Biblical Authority in Progressive Christianity”
- Lecture Two: “The Wisdom of Emptiness and the Fullness of God: A Christian Conversation with Buddhist Philosophy”
- Lecture Three: “A Theology of Violence: Monotheism, Trauma, and the Church”
- Lecture Four: “Let the Bones Dance: Revitalizing Christian Life” (a lecture on embodiment)
- Lecture Five: “Together in One Place: Can Mainline Churches be Multicultural?”
- Lecture Six: “A Theology of Sport: Reflections of a Coach and a Theologian” (joint lecture with John Mount Shoop, February 2010)
“Contortion, Redemption, and Feeling Our Way: Embodying Constructive Theology” at Southeastern Commission for the Study Of Religion (SECSOR), American Academy of Religion Society of Biblical Literature Regional Meeting, March 13, 2009 in the Constructive Theologies Section
- “The Bread of Life, The Cup of Salvation: A Lenten Exploration of Communion” at University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC, a four week course (Spring 2010)
- “Practicing Prayer: An Advent Journey” at University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC, a three week course on spiritual practice (Winter 2009)
- “Exploring Race” at University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC, a four week practicum (Fall 2009)
- “The Wisdom of Emptiness: A Christian Exploration” at Cary Presbyterian Church, Cary, NC, a two week series (April 2008)
- “Exploring the Gospel of John” at University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC, a twelve week course (Fall 2007)
- “A Theology of Violence” at First Presbyterian Church, Oakland, CA (Fall 2006)
- “I Witness” — Keynote Speaker for Presbyterian Women’s Annual Day at First Presbyterian Church Richmond, VA (May 2010). A podcast recording of this talk is available here.
- “Pentecost and the Presbyterians: Exploring an Unlikely Vision for the Church” — Keynote Speaker for Leadership Development Day at Mid-Kentucky Presbytery and Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary (February 2010)
- “Reconciliation and Rehoboth” — Keynote Speaker for Rehoboth Luncheon at the Northside Institutional Church of God in Christ, Pittsburgh, PA. (July 2008)
Please visit the Resources page to read excerpts from these sermons.
- "Fighting Fire with Fire" – Scripture: Acts 2:1-12; Gospel of John 14: 8-17, 25-27, University Presbyterian Church, Chapel Hill, NC (Pentecost May 2010)
- “Pressing Pause” — Scripture: 2 Kings 2: 1-2, 6-14; Luke 9: 51-62, Summer Sunday Worship at Montreat Conference Center (June 2010)
- “Answering Job” — Scripture: Job 38:1-7; Hebrews 5:1-10, Davie Street Presbyterian Church, Raleigh, NC (October 2009)
- “With Friends Like These…” — Scripture: Acts 10:44-48; 1 John 5:1-6; John 15:9-17, The Presbyterian Church, Danville, KY (May 2009)
- “Crazy Talk” — Scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:6-10, 14-17, Shallowford Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA (June 2009)
- “Showing Your ID” — Scripture: Psalm 90; Matthew 22:34-46, Covenant Presbyterian Church, Durham, NC (October 2008)
- "Behind Closed Doors" — Scripture: Psalm 16; John 20:19-31 FPC Dunn, NC (March 2008)
- "Running On Empty" — Scripture: 1 Kings 17: 8-16; James 1: 22-27; John 5: 1-9 Women’s Connection Conference Montreat, NC (August 2008)
- “Earth Shaking” — Scripture: Jeremiah 1:4-10; Hebrews 12:18-29, First Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, OK (August 2007)
Silhouette photos on this and other pages were taken by Willem Bodisco Massink.